About ASHS Awards
The ASHS Awards Program is a means by which the Society recognizes outstanding member accomplishments in horticultural research, extension, and education.
How are the award recipients chosen?
Nominations for ASHS Awards candidates are reviewed and chosen by an appointed committee. Selection Committees are for ASHS Major Awards and Distinguished Achievement Awards, and Screening Committees are for ASHS Publications Awards.
What kinds of awards are given?
Winners are recognized with a certificate or an engraved plaque, depending on the award. Cash awards are given in some award categories.
Where are ASHS Awards given?
Awards are given each year at an awards ceremony and the Annual Business Meeting at the ASHS Annual Conference, and are also noted in the ASHS Newsletter, and HortScience. Division and Working Group Awards will be presented during appropriate Working Group Business Meetings or Working Group Functions.
How is the Awards Program organized?
• Hall of Fame - this prestigious premier award is to honor distinguished persons who have made extraordinary contributions to horticulture. Its purpose is to educate and inform younger members of the profession and the general public about the important contributions of horticultural pioneers who made significant impacts on horticulture and how their achievements contributed to the science and profession of horticulture and to the greater public good.
The ASHS awards program consists of the major awards category, which offers recognition for major accomplishments and activities in horticulture. The distinguished achievement category covers awards given by ASHS Divisions and Working Groups. The student awards category provides recognition for student accomplishments, and scholarships for outstanding horticulture students. The appreciation category provides recognition for various types of service to ASHS.
• Fellows - Election as a Fellow of the Society is the highest honor that ASHS can bestow on its members, in recognition of truly outstanding contributions to horticulture and the Society.
• Outstanding Extension Educator - The ASHS Outstanding Extension Educator Award recognizes an educator who has made an outstanding and valuable contribution to horticultural science extension education for a period of 10 or more years.
• Outstanding Graduate Educator - The ASHS Outstanding Graduate Educator Award recognizes an educator who has had a distinguished and outstanding graduate education teaching career in horticultural science for a period of 10 or more years.
• Outstanding Industry Scientist - The ASHS Outstanding Industry Scientist Award recognizes a horticultural crops scientist working in the private sector who has made outstanding and valuable contributions to horticultural science, the horticultural industry, and the horticultural profession for a period of 10 or more years.
• Outstanding International Horticulturist - The ASHS Outstanding International Horticulturist Award recognizes an international horticulturist who has made an outstanding and valuable contribution to international horticultural science, education, research and/or outreach for a period of 10 or more years.
• Outstanding Researcher - The ASHS Outstanding Researcher Award recognizes a horticultural crops scientist who has had an outstanding record in research on one or more horticultural crops and in one or more areas of horticultural research for a period of 10 or more years.
• Outstanding Undergraduate Educator - The ASHS Outstanding Undergraduate Educator Award recognizes an educator who has had a distinguished and outstanding undergraduate education teaching career in horticultural science for a period of 10 or more years.
• ASHS Industry Division Student Travel Grant - This award is open to all undergraduate and graduate horticulture students who plan to attend the ASHS Annual Conference.
• ASHS Annual Conference Travel Grant - A limited number of travel grants will be awarded to graduate and undergraduate students attending the ASHS Annual Conference.
• ASHS Scholars Award - the purpose of this award is to recognize and support scholastic achievement and to encourage career development in horticultural science at the undergraduate level.
• Collegiate Scholars Award - This award honors the academic achievements of junior and senior undergraduates from departments of horticulture, or of plant and crop science, who are majoring in horticulture.
• Outstanding Undergraduate Horticulture Student - The ASHS Outstanding Horticulture Student Awards officially recognizes exceptional undergraduate horticulture students in baccalaureate programs.
• This award is designed to commemorate sites of horticultural accomplishment, and are selected for historical, scientific, environmental, and aesthetic value.
Working Group/Division/Committee Awards